How you tell you story of you company matters to both the executive and their company. Being able to tell your business story effectively is important for attracting customers, standing out from the competition, and inspiring your team. It allows you to clearly communicate the unique value of your business and build trust and credibility with your audience. A strong business story can serve as a rallying cry for your team, inspiring them to work towards a common goal and believe in the value of what they are doing. It is an essential tool for any business and one that should not be overlooked.
In working with business leaders, I find many of them think when they have to give a speech they can just wing it. Many admit that they hear from their employees that they are great speakers, and they believe it in their soul (what else will your employees tell you?). Yet we have all sat through many presentations from business leaders that are mediocre at best.
I think investing in your presentation skills is the smartest thing a tech leader can do to ensure long-term success. As a business leader, effective presentation skills are crucial for communicating your ideas, inspiring your team, and driving business success. Whether you are delivering a company-wide presentation, pitching to investors, or leading a team meeting, the ability to speak confidently and effectively is essential.
There are several reasons why presentation skills matter for business leaders. First and foremost, they help you to clearly communicate your message and ideas to your audience. This is especially important when presenting to a group of people with diverse backgrounds and expertise. By using clear and concise language, visual aids, and storytelling techniques, you can ensure that your message is understood and remembered by your audience.
Effective presentation skills are also important for inspiring and motivating your team. As a leader, it is your job to rally your team around a common goal and to inspire them to do their best work. By presenting your ideas with confidence and enthusiasm, you can get your team on board and drive them to succeed.
So, how can a tech leader improve their speaking skills? Here are a few tips:
- Practice, practice, practice. The more you practice, the more comfortable and confident you will become when presenting.
- Use visual aids. Incorporating slides, videos, or other visual aids can help to illustrate your points and keep your audience engaged.
- Tell a story. People are more likely to remember and be inspired by a well-told story than a list of facts and figures.
- Use clear and concise language. Avoid using jargon or technical terms that your audience may not understand.
- Engage your audience. Ask questions, encourage participation, and use techniques like eye contact and body language to keep your audience engaged.
- Join a Toastmasters Club and / or hire a speaker coach. If you invest the time and money to get good feedback on how you present yourself, you will improve your speaking skills faster than those who keep “winging it”.
By following these tips and continuing to practice and improve your presentation skills, you can become a more effective and confident speaker as a tech leader.
Have A Great Day